Definition Projects in Aesthetics and the Historical Origins of Fine Art
- There was an argue which states that the modern system of the arts is a recent western invention, with an ideological function in modern capitalist society. In this situation philosopher of the arts, who in addition to participating in such critical analysis, have plenty of other interesting work to do, such universally human activities.
- The Historical Origins of Fine Art, which it originated in the 18th century west.
- describe the key elements of fine art (the notions of the artist & the art work & the aesthetic):
1. The notions of the Artist as Free and Visionary Genius
2. The Art Work as valuable for its own sake independently of any use it might have.
3. The Aesthetic as an autonomous realm of value
- Art appreciation from the more ordinary pleasures of the senses?
- The modern system of the arts has begun to transform itself, under the Art umbrella.
- Attempt of art in the twentieth century.
-artists like Marcel Duchamp and Barnett Newman and the conceptual artist Sol Lewitt rejected “aesthetics” as having anything to do with art.
- The Art divided thesis as a point of shiner,s view & compare the modern sort of Art & traditional cultures.
- there are continuities between the modern sort of art and what preceded it in the west, or what still exists alongside the modern system in non-western traditional cultures. But the modern system is also very different from its predecessors and its alternatives.
- George Dickie sought to expose the attitude of aesthetic detachment as a myth & say sort of approaches in Art.
- There was continuity on the account of the contributors & it can not recognize a radical break of the modern system from the past.
- The historical origin of the modern system of the arts has profound implications for our understanding of that system’s categories.
-Defining art within the context of the modern system & compare it with the changes in the modern system over the past two centuries: Is Art definable?
- The problem comes in extending any of these definitions to the pre-18th century west, or to non-western cultures. In those contexts, ADT implies that there is nothing to define.
-The modern system validate the social by showing that they support something free, transcendent, and valuable for its own sake, and that under those arrangements not everything is measured by money and use. The modern system claims that art is independent from utility, and most especially from commerce; but it arose as the art market replaced patronage and serves to justify the leisure and cultural privilege of wealth, presupposes that all the fine arts have a common nature, in, that they are all forms of Art, divides Art from craft and separates art from entertainment. Modern system may appear unstable. Its strategy of assimilating “the best” of new arts activities and rejecting their poor cousins seems to be altering its fundamental categories and separates Art from the rest of life, so that it cannot readily accommodate the “aesthetic of the everyday”. For the above-mentioned reasons, it not believed that I do not believe that the emergence of the modern system of the Arts represents a culmination of universal human arts practice. It seems to me that definitions of art, and assumptions that we can talk about “our concept” of art in a neutrally theoretical and cross-culturally relevant way, are among the prominent ways in which the divisions of class, gender, race and wealth.
The Aesthetic, Aesthetic disinterest, and the Artist
-ADT has similar implications for the notions of the aesthetic and the artist.
-The Aesthetic is an autonomous realm, that Aesthetic value is separate from other sorts of value, and that the experience of paying attention to aesthetic objects is of special and deep importance to human beings; these ideas are central to the modern system.
- The unique aesthetic attitude, and the autonomy of aesthetic value, is doctrines that derive their plausibility from the modern system.
- The term “Aesthetic” remains useful, with several current meanings, such as: “the vision or preferred approach taken by an artist or artisan, or by a group of such people.”
Philosophy of the arts after definition projects
- In addition to the definition projects, certain categorization efforts might exist: Critical inquiry into the actual function of the modern system’s categories within western culture, and its global reverberations, is a huge task in itself.
- The analysis of “aesthetic” properties like: balance, completeness, integrity, grace, beauty, profundity, significance, relevance, expressiveness, weightiness, heaviness, sadness, intensity, coherence, incoherence, edginess, humor, and the like.